How to Choose a Choker Necklace
Chokers are necklaces that sit tightly around the neck. They are often made of fabric since they are so close-fitting, but there are many other styles and materials. Their constructions range from simple to ornate, and they frequently feature detailing like sequins, rhinestones, pearls or pendants. Choker necklaces can be a great fashion accessory when chosen and worn correctly. However, there are definitely some key points to keep in mind when choosing a choker that will look flattering.
Evaluating Your Neck and Face Shape
Measure your neck.It’s important to measure your neck before investing in a choker, since they are meant to fit relatively tightly. Take a soft measuring tape and loop it around your neck once. Be sure to hold the tape close to your neck – chokers should fit tightly, but they should be loose enough for you to breathe easily.A good rule of thumb is to add 2 inches (50.8 mm) onto whatever your neck measurement is. This will be a comfortable choker length for you.
- The standard choker measurement is usually 14 to 16 inches (356 mm to 406 mm) in length.
- Chokers can vary greatly in width from 3 inches (76.2 mm) down to just a small wire about 1/16 of an inch (4 mm).
Assess the length and width of your neck.Chokers look best on those who have long, slender necks. If you have a very short neck, a choker won’t look very flattering unless it's very thin and simple. If you have a wide neck, a choker is still an okay option as long as you choose a slim one; otherwise, you run the risk of making your neck appear even wider. The longer and more slender your neck, the wider the choker you can wear while still looking appealing.
- A longer, more slender neck can wear chokers with more detail and gems.
- If you have a wider neck, it is best to go for something a bit simpler.
- If you have a short neck, it's best to avoid wearing most chokers at all, unless it's a very thin one.
Consider your face shape.Chokers, like all necklaces, accentuate your strongest facial features by framing your face. If you have a round face, steer clear of chokers, since they will emphasize the roundness. If you have an oval shaped face, you can wear necklaces of all shapes, lengths and styles. If your face is on the long and thin side, a choker will make your face appear wider and softer.
- Chokers look very flattering on people with heart shaped faces because they make the face look fuller while balancing out the narrow chin.
- Those with round faces should avoid chokers completely because they will emphasize the fullness of your face.
Try it on before you buy it whenever possible.Before you begin shopping for a choker, make sure you’ve recorded your neck measurements. When you try one on, keep in mind that the best positioning for a choker is on, or just above, the collarbone. Always look for a style that comes in your size. If you are unable to try it on before purchasing, there are many choker options that come with adjustable chains.
- These chains usually offer about 2 inches (50.8 mm) of adjustability.
- Most sellers will list the length/size of their chokers – if not, ask a shop assistant for help.
- If the choker makes your neck look shorter or disappear completely when you try it on, avoid this type of necklace.
Selecting by Style and Color
Choose colors that look best with your skin tone.Hold different colored fabrics up to your neck and take note of which hues look best with your coloring. Some colors can cause your skin to appear washed-out or blotchy, depending on your particular skin tone. Once you’ve determined what these colors are, avoid them. Always choose the most flattering color(s) for you.
- Black tends to look great on everyone, as well as most neutral colors.
- Match the color of the choker’s embellishments, like stones or cameos, to your eye color for a mesmerizing and unusual look.
Go with a chic fabric choker.Fabric chokers first became popular in medieval times, when women adorned their necks with simple pieces made of velvet or satin. This unique and lightweight choice has become extremely popular once again. The studded velvet black choker is a classic that’s never gone out of style.
- However, there are options in every color of the rainbow, and there are many different styles to choose from.
Achieve a Bohemian look with a crocheted choker.These pieces are handmade and look very fashionable and creative, especially among those who love dressing in street styles. Pair a crocheted choker with a long Bohemian skirt for a look that is both feminine and carefree.
- A crochet choker can make even a basic cotton top look unique and trendy.
- They can look great with casual and formal outfits, so experiment a little.
Select pieces made of leather, velvet or lace for a goth-inspired look.A simple black choker made of velvet or lace creates a softer goth look, while leather versions have a slightly more alternative edge. The velvet and lace versions usually have embellishments like drop pearls, intricate chains, dangling pendants, tiny fabric roses, cameos, lockets and jewels. They range from very simple to incredibly ornate.
- The leather versions are usually more simple, with a snap closure.
- Studded leather chokers are popular in punk and goth fashion.
- Try a cameo for a gothic-tinged Victorian or Edwardian look.
Try a metal choker for a bold or structured look.Metal chokers come in a variety of styles and are made with many different types of metals. One of the most common varieties is a simple, dainty chain choker, which can easily accessorize lots of different looks. There are also bold statement pieces, such as wide gold or silver bands, that can make a real impact.
- Layered chains, tiny charms, and stacked bands in a variety of widths are all popular choices for metal chokers.
- Intricate metalwork and unique wire designs are also fashionable.
Go with a simple band for a masculine look.There are fashionable choker options for men and masculine people, but you do need to be selective. Simple, solid bands look best – the most favored versions are usually made of leather, rope, or hemp. Those who enjoy punk fashions will look great with a dog collar style choker.
- Woven hemp chokers have always been popular in surfer culture.
- Some feature puka shells, which is another popular look.
Coordinating with Clothing
Consider the neckline.The more bare skin is exposed around your choker, the more it will stand out, so definitely consider the necklines of your tops and dresses. Chokers are the most flattering with sweetheart, scoop, v-neck, strapless, off-the-shoulder and square necklines. For an alternative look, wear chokers with a top that leaves your chest and shoulders bare, like a corset.When possible, try selecting a choker design that coordinates with the neckline.
- For example, you could pair a gothic choker with a point in the middle with a v-neck top.
- Another example would be wearing a round-shaped choker with a scoop neck top.
- Avoid wearing chokers when you're wearing clothes with high necklines, since they might snag your clothing and cause your neckline to look bulky.
Match the choker style to your clothing style.If you are into goth, alternative or punk fashions, choose chokers that reflect those styles. Velvet, lace and leather chokers all fall under that umbrella. Chokers also look fantastic with corsets and dramatic evening attire. Pair gowns with elegant pieces.
- Burlesque dancers love to wear chokers with their stage outfits, since they’re so flattering with that style.
- Bohemian fashions work best with crochet and tribal chokers.
Choose based on whether you’re wearing casual or formal attire.Elegant evening wear works best with glamorous pieces that feature pearls, diamonds and ivory beads. Bridal wear is also similarly suited to those kinds of pieces. Fabric and crocheted chokers work best with casual Bohemian styles.
- Chokers that are simple strands, featuring beadwork or other embellishments, can look great with both casual and formal wear.
- A strapless formal gown can be made even more elegant with a delicate choker featuring translucent glass beads, crystals and gems.
QuestionWhat store should I go to to find a well-fitted choker?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerI would recommend Claire's or Justice or maybe Kohl's, anywhere that sells jewelry for young women.Thanks!
QuestionHow do you wear a choker? Do you slide it from the top to your neck?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerSome chokers are stretchy, so you can just slide it on from the top of your head. Some chokers have a clasp you can open and close, so you can use that to clip it on.Thanks!
QuestionHow do you tighten a choker?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerSome have extender chains so the clasp can be hooked at different lengths. Some have a sliding adjuster that can be pulled to tighten or loosen depending on the direction, like bow ties. Others are elastic, which cannot be changed but can be stretched.Thanks!
QuestionMy choker (with an adjustable chain) is as tight as it can go, but it slides down and won't stay where I want it to be. Am I doing something wrong, or is my neck just really thin?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou probably just haven't found the right size for your choker. If you can't find a choker small enough to fit your size, try using a pin or some tape to make the size smaller.Thanks!
Can you do a male version of this?
Video: How to Choose the Right Jewelry for Your Neckline
How to Be a Candy Striper
Skillet Shrimp Tacos
Childrens Company Slammed for Selling High Heels to Babies — Yeah, You Read That Right
8 Ways to Calm Yourself Down and Relax
10 Perforated Leather Pieces To ShopNow
More Big News for the Duggar Family
Avar LS Reviews
The 5 Best Fast-Drying Top Coats That SeriouslyWork
How to Make Your Employees More Productive
10 Crazy Airbnbs You Can Book Around The World